Sunday, October 11, 2015

Ups and Downs...

I have had a series of ups and downs the past few days that has made me a little dizzy!  It might just be the crazy heat in the Philippines, but I kind of doubt it.  I've actually been getting used to always being super hot, sweating and people pointing out my state of hotness...literally, as in sweaty... I'm really not trying to be funny!!

I've had a little sickness... A few tummy aches, a cold and a heat rash, all of which brought me a little down as I don't like being sick on mission as it attempts to derail me.  All but the heat rash is gone, though, praise God, and I just might have the rash until I'm in the frigid winter climate... Geez, just saying those words cools me down!!

I went to Sister Minerva's auntie's 89th birthday party the other day.  She was so sweet and said that I blessed her birthday with my presence...how sweet is that??  Well, we bonded over both being single! It was a nice break and I got to know the Sisters' spiritual director better, Msgnr Lope.  He takes a group of people from Borongan to the Holy Land each year.  I got to ask him a question I have wondered about a lot... Probably too much!!  Well, it says in many places in the bible that our souls will be made white as snow.  It is in the psalms, St. Paul talks about it and it is also in the book of Revelation.  But, as Jerusalem and the places traveled by the first Catholics were in the desert, how could they have  possibly known what snow was, and even if it was divinely inspired, why would they write something their audience would never understand?  But Msgnr. Lope told me that it actually does snow at times in and around Jerusalem.  I never knew that!!  Anyways, that was a good up day!

I found out this week that the missionaries from Illinois who had planned to come this coming week are unable to make it.  Due to circumstances beyond their control, thankfully not health related, the Trinkus' cannot come to Borongan at this time.  I was really looking forward to their visit here, but after shedding a few tears I turned to God for some solace.  Opening my bible at random, I found myself staring at the words "trust in the Lord and not in dreams,". Please keep  Mary Jane and Vic in your prayers...for their present tribulation and for the possibility of a future trip to Borongan.

This past week has been quite busy.  Almost every day we have been on the road for trips that have lasted for most of the day.  I've gone back to Santa Cruz in the south for the Piglet Program, to an ordination in the North, which was completely amazing and reminded me of my brother, Father Mark, and his ordination, and back to the south for a trip to Tacloban, which has had it's own series of ups and downs...
           First we had to extend my visa here in Tacloban, which for me was a major downer as I went through all the visa madness in Buffalo before coming here.  And what did I find out??  That you don't need the visa you get in the States!!!!!!!!!  And we had all this running around to do, getting pictures and money... And the extension is only for 2 months, so in January we have to do it all over again for the last month I will be here.  Why oh why are visas so difficult?  Can someone please explain it to me?  Whether coming to the U.S., for all 4 sisters applied for visas to the U.S. but only Sister Clarissa got one, or going from the U.S. to another country, visas have ALWAYS been a pain in the butt.  Mega downer... But for now it is taken care of.

            Major upper... We are getting a new car!!  We have 3 cars, but two of them are ready to go to the great beyond.  I told Joey, one of the drivers, that every time I get in one of those old cars, I think of a cartoon I saw in which people were driving in a car and all the parts of the car were falling off of it, so that in the end, only the steering wheel, which the driver was holding, was left!! So our new car is a 4x4 pickup that we will be able to use during the construction mission, delivering piglets to barrios, for immersions...  Pre-Immersion blog coming up... And hauling lots of other stuff too.  Fun!!

              Also, a delicious (marasa) upper... Last night we ate dinner at a place called Ocho in Tacloban... Man was it good!  They have a seafood bar, with fresh caught fish, shrimp, squid, clams, seaweed, snails, etc.  So you choose the seafood you want and how you want it cooked, then it arrives at your table, and oh boy, was it delicious!!  We had the best grilled fish I ever had, a delicious seafood soup, sweet and spicy garlic shrimp and I had grilled squid for the first time and it was deeelicious!!!  What a fun night out with Sister Clarissa and some of our friends in Borongan, Momi Leah and Atee Chris.

              And finally, one of the biggest uppers for me was mass in English this morning.  You know, one of the beautiful things about the Catholic faith is that you can go to mass pretty much anywhere in the world and, even if you don't know the language, the heart of the mass, the Eucharist, is universal.  You can participate in it and receive our Lord Jesus Christ in Holy Communion anywhere in the world, providing your heart and soul are prepared to receive Him.  But.... I have gone to mass just about every day since being here, a few times I have gone twice in one day, that is about 45 masses, and I think only 3 have been in English.  I am learning the responses and the songs of the Waray waray mass, and am always grateful for the opportunity to participate in the most beautiful prayer the church has, but there is something special about being able to fully embrace the mass, to be able to hear the readings, to be able to meditate on the homily and to be able to hear the words spoken during the consecration.  It was like getting a gift this morning!!!

I think in every life, wherever you may be, ups and downs are a natural part of it.  But the passage I read in the bible when asking God for help and solace after finding out Mary Jane and Vic were not coming is something I think every person should know.  It has already helped me out many times.  Here is the part that has helped me the most...

Wisdom of Ben Sira: 34 14-20 (but the whole thing is good...)
"Living is the spirit of those who fear the Lord, for their hope is in their Savior.  Whoever fears the Lord is afraid of nothing and are never discouraged for He is their hope.
Happy the soul that fears the Lord!  In whom does he trust, and who is his support?
The eyes of the Lord are upon those who love Him; He is their mighty shield and their strong support.  A shelter from the heat, a shade from the noon day sun, a guard against stumbling, a help against falling.  He lifts up spirits, brings a sparkle to the eyes, gives health and life and blessing."

xxoo