Sunday, October 4, 2015

First Month in the Philippines

It is hard to believe I have already been here for one month.  It has gone by so fast!!  Not difficult as the sisters are so busy, but still I am surprised at how fast it has gone.

I think the most memorable thing about this month is the state of life here even after almost 3 years since the first typhoon.  There are people who have managed to rebuild their homes and many, many people have received help in the form of temporary housing from many different charities.  The Diocese of Joliet in Illinois is one that has done incredible work here in Borongan.  But still, there are so many people without homes, living in the ruins of their former abodes and not able to pull themselves up from the rubble.  They are coconut farmers who have lost their livelihood because of the destruction of the trees, fishermen who have lost boats and cannot afford a new one, people lost their money, their memories, everything.  It is so hard to get the images of the "homes" out of my mind.

But I have had many fun and pleasant experiences... playing on the beach with the college students and Sister Clarissa... her team lost the game we were playing so they had to buy us mango smoothies!!  All of the fiestas and parties... you know, these sisters work harder than most people I've ever known, but they know how to have a good time and enjoy a party!  Hanging out with the college students I live with and trying to get them to come out of their shell a little...they are very shy here!!  Laughing and telling jokes and stories with the sisters... they all have a good sense of humor!  I have really enjoyed seeing the lands here, I think I have seen most of Samar.  The sight of the rivers, the ocean, the mountains, the sky... it is all breath taking and makes me want to take up water colors again!  I could never recreate the beauty here, but I am itching to get my hands on some paints and try!!

I have really enjoyed the missions we have been on, going to Santa Cruz, Taclo-an, San Julio.  Being with the people there and meeting the kids, helping the sisters help them... truthfully I am not sure how much help I've been yet, but I'm sure as the time goes on and I learn a little more I will be of more help to them! 

The hardest thing so far has been the language barrier.  It's a pretty high barrier!!  Most people here understand some English and can speak it a little, but they all speak Waraywaray to each other.  Now, I am learning the language, but it is taking some time.  Fortunately, I am super happy to be Roman Catholic and can participate in the mass no matter what language it is in, but the same is not true at the dinner table... the breakfast or lunch table either!  But I am learning, and they are trying to accommodate me as best they can while I learn, so while it is a cross for me, I am being helped along, which is good!!!

And what is coming??  Awesome things!!  Missionaries from the Joliet Diocese in Illinois, Dr. Vic and Mary Jane Trinkus.  They have been coming here for years and are loved by each and every person who has had the opportunity to know them.  Hardly a day goes by that their name is not mentioned!!  They will be coming for a few weeks in October, and I am psyched!!

Also, an immersion... what is that, you may ask?  Well, a bit of suspense for you as you will have to wait for a blog or two for info.  Suffice it to say that it may be one of the most amazing and different experiences of my life, and I will be able to experience it with the Trinkus' too!! 

So, so far I am feeling well and happy here in Borongan, and am excited for what is to come next!!  Here are some pics from this first month of mine here:
                                                     Getting ready for the novena!

 Here I am in San Julio:
                                                                      Fiesta!!!



                                                   Improving Livelihoods with Wilbur!!

                                                      We get free mango smoothies!!!