Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Clean Heart Create in Me, Oh God!!!

I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I went to elementary school in the 70s and 80s.  I attended a Catholic school, St. Aloysius Gonzaga, and was privileged to know and receive my sacraments from Bishop Benincasa who was a great bishop, priest, man... And although I had good teachers and received a good education there, I believe most Catholic schools at the time all taught nearly the same thing.  I sometimes think of it as fluffinutter catechesis.  Jesus loves you, Jesus loves me.  I mean, there was more, but not much.  As an adult, I am beginning to see a reversion back to a more solid Catholic foundation in some of our youth, which is awesome.  And I feel a little jipped at not receiving that kind of real Catholic education.  I am beginning to study it now on my own, but I am not one of those self-starter, entrepreneurial people.  It is very difficult for me to stay on task at learning now in my old-er age.  But I am trying, I guess that's the important part.

But the reason I bring this all up is that in today's Gospel (10/13, Lk11:37-41) the Jesus being portrayed here is monumentally different from the one I learned about in grade school.  To recap, Jesus is invited to a Pharisee's home for dinner and when they comment that Jesus did not perform all of the cleansing absolutions before eating, he actually calls them fools right to their faces.  He says "You cleanse the outside of cup and dish, but within you are filled with rapaciousness.  Fools!  Did He who made the outside make the inside too?"  This Jesus is authoritative and harsh.  I realize that Jesus is speaking this way to them to save them, to get them to change and start thinking about what is really important, but man... can you imagine being invited to someone's home, an important someone in the eyes of the people living at that time, and calling them fools??  Can you even imagine the Pharisees' response???  Yikes! 

But having lived in both the first world and the third world for the past few years, I can see this happening even today.  I mean, sometimes I have been just totally nauseated by the smell of hand sanitizer after the Sign of Peace at some churches in Buffalo.  Really?  Hand sanitizer??  It is just one example of our "germophobic" society in the States.  To a certain extent, I realize that cleanliness is important.  We saw by the outbreak of Ebola how bad hygiene can really be destructive to us, even deadly.  But in church? After shaking hands signaling peace, equality and love for one another? I know I am repeating myself, but...really?  

And I am guilty of it too, well, not at mass, but being over sensitive about cleanliness.  I've brought hand sanitizers and sanitizing wipes with me on all of my mission trips, and I do realize the intelligence behind that, but the question is, have I ever let the state of someone's cleanliness or lack thereof stop me from being Christian to them?  I think, being honest, the answer is yes.  Passing someone on the street who is dirty, possibly smelly and not even saying hello let alone trying to help in some way.  But in the missions I have encountered many situations with dirty children and adults where I had a choice to make... this person is dirty, smells, maybe has ants on them or flys all around them.  To coin the phrase of the popular show, "What would you do?"  Before missionary work, I am ashamed to say I would probably try to ignore them, or politely say hello and pray that they didn't begin a conversation.  But now?  The other day a woman came to the office door to ask for rice.  The Oikos Sisters give rice to whoever comes to their door.  This woman was completely dirty, she had all ripped clothes, she had more teeth missing than not, and it probably was a while since she had bathed.  Sister Clarissa asked me to get her some rice, so I did.  Then she asked me if I would take a picture with her.  Without even a second thought, I sat down next to her, put my arm around her and told her something funny so she would smile with me in the picture.  In the barrios, I have met many people who I would not consider "clean", but what is really important?  In Africa, oh my where the children dirty, although they bathed twice a day... can't really figure that one out!!!  Once I was carrying a child wearing a diaper that leaked diarrhea on to me, and I shrugged my shoulders and said "whatever!!"  I certainly do not want Jesus to look at me and call me a fool!  I am in no way on the level of the Oikos Sisters, the Sisters of Charity, St. Francis, who even kissed lepers, but I am trying at this too and I realize how important it really is.

In a certain way, I feel as if I have it easier than people who have never been on a mission before, never been to a third world country, never encountered people at their most desperate need.  Here, you are either all in or you go home because it is not possible to sit on the sidelines in a mission, you are not able to pass the buck onto someone else. Everyone you encounter in need is Jesus, and you act accordingly.  Back in the U.S. and other first world countries, it is a easier to look the other way, to make it a point to avoid the "dirtier" areas of town... I know, I did it.  But Jesus' challenge in the Gospel today is for all of us.  There is a common popular phrase that says "cleanliness is next to godliness," but I think Jesus would disapprove of this one.  Perhaps openness, inclusiveness or charitable-ness (?) is next to Godliness. 

Being healthy is important, but being loving and charitable, having a clean heart and a clean soul is even more so.  xxoo