Sunday, October 11, 2015

Moving Right Along...

... Very early this morning we saw some poor children laying on the sidewalk, seemingly just waking up.  As we passed them, the sisters started all talking together, then we stopped and turned around.  Sister Minerva got out of our car and proceeded to buy some food from a street-side vendor, then took it over to the boys. She spent a few moments talking to them, then gave them the food.  People on the street were watching her as she spoke with them... ministry in action, that's what it's all about!!

... I mentioned in an earlier bog that I went to Tacloban, a large city here, with Sister Clarissa and some friends to take care of some business there and we stayed overnight.  Upon returning to Providence Home, I got a HUGE hug from one of the little boys here, Jake.  He was upstairs, and as he ran down, he was singing "Auntie Sarah.... Auntie Sarah... Auntie Sarah!!!"  Ohhh, it felt good!

... On October 16th, Friday, it is the feast day of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.  I have heard her story many times from my grandfather, Bob Noonan, who, along with his bride Josephine, have a special devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, of whom St. Margaret Mary had visions and ultimately had the portrait of the Sacred Heart painted.  My grandparents have been very instrumental in spreading the word and the message of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Buffalo for many years.  In fact, it is through the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the work of my grandparents that I owe my newfound missionary life.  St. Margaret Mary... pray for us!!

... Guess what I found in Borongan???  The bus the Muppets used in The Muppet Movie!!  Seriously, these busses are everywhere... and despite the fact that they spew out the darkest exhaust I have ever seen and seem to have no regard for pedestrians, when I see one I always smile!!  I keep thinking of Fozzy driving and Kermit singing "Moving right along!!"  Here is the bus:

And they come in all different colors... a little silver lining on my exhaust cloud!!!!
 
 

...Yesterday we spent some time driving to the barrios most effected by Typhoon Ruby.  Because of landslides, the people living in these barrios could not get out and no food or supplies could be brought in.  But there is some rebuilding going on now.  We went to these barrios to bring information about a high school in Cebu, well two actually, one for girls and one for boys.  There is an order of sisters there that run the school and asked the Oikos sisters if they knew of any kids who would be candidates for entrance to their school.  It is free for poor students.  So we were passing around applications and information about the school to people in the barrios.  Even when the Oikos Sisters are not the ones providing the aid, they still work at providing a bridge between poor people and help. 

Just about every day, in hundreds of different ways, God is showing me how to love, giving me consolations of love, lifting me up in little ways and letting me know I am not alone... He is with me.  It makes me feel very loved, but at the same time, very unworthy to receive such care and attention from God.  I think we all have God working in our lives this way, but the many distractions and perhaps our egos get in the way of seeing the Hand that is guiding and loving us.  In the missions, there are no egos and the distractions are seriously minimized due to poverty.  It is pretty cool that in order to gain the knowledge of God working in, with and through me, I've had to let go of everything... but in letting go, I've gained everything.  Does that make sense or is my brain on meltdown??  Perhaps both!!  xxoo