Saturday, January 5, 2019

My Double Hiatus

So, I admit to having taken a hiatus from writing... I have sort of lost my fervor for writing.  But I heard Dr. Ray Guarendi, Catholic psychologist, radio host and author, once on his radio talk show give advice to someone in my position, with "writer's block".  Dr. Ray's advice was to just keep on writing, don't stop, even if what you write makes no sense or isn't very good, just keep at it and it'll all come back, and so... here I go...

This past July I left the Philippines and returned home to Buffalo, NY to raise money for the Oikos Mission, to visit my family and friends and to discern my future path. Check. Check. Check.  I accomplished all I set out to do!!  The Mission Appeals in Buffalo went very well and I humbly thank the parishes of Holy Family, St. Anthony and St. John Gualbert.  I was able to go on a vacation with my huge family...about 90 of us descended upon Hampton Beach, NH for the 59th year to sunbathe, play games, talk, reunite, laugh, eat and enjoy each other's company.  It is a tradition that my grandparents on my father's side began 59 years ago with their small family of 8 children and now has grown to include their children's children, their children's children's children,
and next year a new generation will be added! (That's right...their children's children's children's children!!!)  It was such a joy to be there with all of them.  

This trip home was extended due to the discernment part of my time home, and so I was able to celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family in Buffalo, all of which was so dear to my heart.   So I guess you could say I was on a double hiatus...from writing and from the mission.  I did greatly miss being with my Oikos Family, and was on my knees in fervent prayer each time I heard of a typhoon or earthquake heading there.  For some reason, it's more terrifying for me to be far away from them when such things happen then being there with them...like I have super powers and can stop the natural disasters or something!!!  But I can barely handle the wait between a natural disaster forecasted or happening and finally hearing from them that everything is ok.  

My time of discernment was difficult and took some time.  I felt very strongly that I had reached the pinnacle of my time here as a lay missionary...not that there was nothing more for me to do, but that I was in need of growing more in my work and in my relationship with God and being a lay missionary just wasn't getting it done.  I also felt a longing in my heart to grow deeper in my vocation.  And so, I dove deep into my heart, searched my soul, spent time alone with God and found my answer.  Want to know what that was?  Stay tuned...