Saturday, March 10, 2018

Joy Revisited



I slept and dreamt that life was joy.

I awoke and saw that life was service.

I acted and behold, service was joy."



The above quote is written by Rabindranath Tagore, a philosopher and reformer who lived in Calcutta at the turn of the 20th century and won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913.  When I saw this quote, it struck me quite stunningly how accurate this is in my life. 



When I went on my first mission to Africa, I was told that now my life would be split into two parts…life before Ghana and life after Ghana.  I didn’t believe it at the time, I thought how could one experience change one’s life so irrevocably that it would never be the same again.  But it totally did!!  It was like I woke up for the first time and saw how I should really live my life, caring for and serving others.  My path may be different from yours, but whether we move to another country to serve and care for others or do it in the town we were born in, we are all called to service.  The amazing thing that I learned on my very first mission was that when I gave myself totally in service to others, I was filled with great joy…even through difficult times and painful experiences.  It is not a joy born of earthly things, for that kind of joy is temporary.  The joy I am speaking of comes from deep within yourself, it is a brightness, a lightening of your load, a feeling of peace and of grace. “I acted and behold, service was joy!”



   

This past February, missioners from around the whole world came to Borongan City for the 12th Annual Bulig Kablas Medical Mission through the Diocese of Joliet Partnership in Mission.  48 men and women including doctors, nurses, dentists, builders, painters, and community outreach volunteers came to Borongan traveling thousands of miles, spending hundreds of dollars, leaving their families and their work.  They worked here for two weeks without pay healing the sick, helping to restore dental health, building homes in the rain and reaching out to the poorest of the poor, from the smallest children to the senior citizens.   Why do they do that?  What could be their motivation?  I know what it is… it is the joy they feel in serving others.  It may seem hard to believe, but even in the challenging situations, the painful encounters and headaches and tummy troubles, there is joy!   That is why so many of these volunteers have been coming back to Borongan for this mission for many years now.  They acted and behold, they found service was joy.

This year for the Medical Mission, I was on the dental team.  We served the poor in the barrios of San Jose and  San Miguel, we worked two days in the provincial hospital and we also gave dental care to the prisoners at the provincial jail and at PJMB.  Three dentists came from the US along with three dental hygenists, and, working alongside Sister Michelle Ureta, one of the Oikos Sisters who is also a dentist, they saw over 650 patients and did over 1,000 procedures!!!  I was working as the dental pharmacist together with other Oikos co-workers throughout the dental mission.  It was really amazing to see all of the dentists working so hard, bending over patients, one after the other, understanding and feeling the fears and pain of their patients, working from early in the morning until late in the afternoon and treating each person with kindness and patience.  Despite the back pain, headaches, heat and long hours, at the end of the day, I could still see the joy on their faces.  Truly, there is great joy in service!  For me, it was my first time working as a pharmacist, although all I gave out were pain killers and amoxicillin!  Still, being able to offer a comforting smile, some relief from pain and receiving lots of smiles as I gave the instructions for the medicine in Waray Waray, I felt blessed to be able to do even that.  The experience at the prisons was something I will never forget.  It was the first time I did prison ministry, but I hope it won’t be the last.  I had a personal encounter with each prisoner as I explained to them how to take their medicine, offered empathy for their dental pain and gave wishes for a speedy recovery.  Each of us received the grace to look beyond the exterior of each prisoner to see the person God created, and gave them all the care and love a child of God deserves.          

There is great joy in service, and I am so thankful to God for the blessing of being able to experience this joy day in and day out with the Oikos Sisters in their mission, Oikos Ptochos Tou Theo, the Poor Household of God.  From the big acts of service like making food for 600 people and serving it to the smaller tasks like encoding a songbook for the Oikos Family to use during prayer, when I am able to put others first and truly rely on God, I am filled with the joy of service.



I know that Rabindranath Tagore did not write this poem for me... but I thank him from the bottom of my joyful heart that he wrote it for it explains something I have been trying to put into words for 4 years now.  By the way, you don't have to become a missionary or travel hundreds of miles to feel this kind of joy.  The Good Lord knows there are many, many people in need right here in our city, our neighborhoods, possibly even in our own families.  Do the service...feel the joy...never stop!!! 




Dr. Terry and Dr. Mike in San Miguel


Ready to start the day!!




Dental Hygienist Laura...can you find her?

The dental team with our protectors...Thank you!!!